This item is currently not for sale
Please find our current Ivy Kids kit offerings at our Online Store
Ivy Kids Kit - Moonbear's Shadow
Ivy Kids Kit - Moonbear's Shadow
This kit features the beloved book Moonbear's Shadow by Frank Asch.
This kit contains over 13 science, math, art, literacy, and engineering activities inspired by the story. This month children will learn about the Sun, shadows and the Earth's rotation through hands-on play and exploration.
In this Ivy Kids kit you will find:
- The book Moonbear's Shadow by Frank Asch, a humorous story about a bear that tries to unsuccessfully get rid of his shadow.
- Read along Bookmark: Use to assist with reading comprehension.
- Sun-Sand Art: Use the orange and yellow sand to create a layered pattern inside the sun bottle which will make a beautiful decoration in a child’s room.
- Bear Shadow Experiment: Explore how the position of light affects the way shadows are cast by holding the flashlight in different positions next to the bear. Record your findings.
- Shadow Puppets: Cut out and decorate all the puppets. Turn on the flashlight and hold a puppet between the light and a wall to cast a shadow on the wall. Use the puppets to put on a shadow puppet play.
- Frisbee Sun Catcher: Create a Frisbee sun catcher by decorating the clear Frisbee with markers. Take the Frisbee out on a sunny day to play and to hold up to the light.
- Decorate Your Own Sun Visor: Use the markers to decorate your own sun visor.
- Sun Print: Select FLAT objects from nature or from your home, place them on the special blue paper and expose it to the sun. The shadow of the object(s) placed on the paper will be printed onto the paper.
- Record Your Shadows: Go outside on a sunny day and use your sidewalk chalk to record your shadow.
- Human Sundial Experiment: Go outside on a sunny day and use your chalk to record your shadow at different times of the day. Record how your shadow changes position at different times of the day.
- My Sun: Glue your yellow and orange cut-out hand prints onto the yellow plate. Write some sun facts on the sheet and glue it to the center of the plate to complete the sun craft.
- The Earth and the Sun: Use the inflated earth globe and the “My Sun” craft project to act out how the earth rotates on its axis and how the earth revolves around the sun.
- All About the Sun: Cut out each of the facts strips and glue the end of each fact strip to the circle to create a fact sun.
- Bear’s Shadow Throughout the Day: Take your stuffed bear outside on a sunny day and record the shadow of your stuffed bear at different times of the day.
- Sundial: Create a sundial that will tell the time during the sunny times of the day. Hold up a stick in the center of a disc with a piece of putty and place the sundial in a spot that gets sun all day. Record the shadow of the stick on the disc and the time of the day every hour.
- Telling Time on a Clock: Rotate the minute and the hour hands on this clock to represent different times of the day.
- Letter and Word Hunt: Scatter the letter, picture, or word cards all over the floor of a dark room. Use your flashlight to look for a matching pair of cards. Practice letter recognition, letter sounds, and recognizing sight words with this fin game.
Your Kit includes a guide for each activity to help promote your child’s learning while you play together.
At Ivy Kids, we know that every child is unique. In your guide, you will find tips to
modify each game based on the age and development of your child.